Saturday, July 14, 2012

Crab Cakes!

My dinner plan that night was to have asparagus and flavored rice. I had had several packets of flavored rice forever, and was going to finally use them. Sadly, both had been destructed by moths. I have never had a issue with moths until this year. I seem to have eradicated them, but occasionally will find their destruction. Who knew moths ate food? Well, one type, anyways. Don't go killing every moth you see, just these ones. Anyways, in searching for something else to eat with my asparagus, I found a can of crab meat...maybe I can make crab cakes! I pulled out my Old Bay seasoning box, and indeed, there was a recipe: Chesapeake Old Bay Crab Cakes. Upon looking at the website, I also found this one...sounds good, too. Perhaps I will try that one someday.
  • The can of crab meat was only a 1/4 lb, so I quartered everything in the recipe, with the exception of the egg, and I used 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard.
  • I did not have fresh bread, so instead of using a 1/2 slice of bread, I used 1/3 cup bread crumbs. They probably helped soak up a little of the extra egg moisture, too.
  • Check this out to see how to make bread crumbs yourself; from an older website of mine. It's a great use for stale bread, or the end pieces, if you don't like eating those.
  • My recipe made 7 crab cakes - enough to feed 2 or 3 people.
Key ingredients :)

Pretty asparagus, cut and rinsed.

Bread crumbs, mayonnaise, Old Bay, parsley, and mustard.

One of my pretty brown CSA eggs!

Everything mixed up!

Crab patties! I used my large cookie dough scoop to portion them out, then pattied them with my hands.

I sprayed a little oil on my skillet, and fried them for 5 minutes on each side.

Mmm.

Asparagus just takes a few minutes, so I cooked these while the last batch of cakes cooked. Just a little oil, garlic, and bit of salt.


So pretty, so tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment