Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rat Hammock!

I've seen rat hammocks for sale, and I had a feeling my girls would love one. However, I thought I'd try making one myself. Originally I had cut the bottoms off some old tall socks I had for little blankets for them (they love nesting with these, or even sleeping inside if they are still tube shaped, like a sleeping bag), and I thought I might make hammocks out of the tops. I probably still will, but upon finding my yarn stash and a crochet hook, I thought I'd try crocheting one.
I honestly don't know a lot about crocheting, but I just made a square (25x25 rows) and then crocheting several rows of edges, including loops to attach the hammock. In a crafty mood, I then went and made another one. The first seemed kind of small, so I made this one 30x30, but it's a little saggy once they all get on it. Which is fine, but it makes the space beneath the hammock a little small. Would be good in a taller cage.

25 x 25 square - pretty pink :)


Binder rings to attach
30 x 30 square - sunny yellow :)


It's pretty taut, but when they lie on it, it sags down.

Full cage view - they just have a small cage now, but hopefully will upgrade soon.
They all checked it out, but were hesistant to stay on it until I moved it up to the top shelf, where they like to be. Besides being a new comfy spot, it also helps me because they used to carry bedding up to the top shelf to bed on, and then kick it out all over the floor. Now that they have this little haven, they've only carried up a couple pieces :) I change the hammock once every 3-4 days.

Front to back: Shale, Chalcedony, and Lilac

Super comfy!


It's hard to get good pictures because Shale always has to see what's going on
...like this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment