Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Savory Wheat Pancake

I like to be resourceful and use what I have. I am also lazy and don't like to go out and buy things. This leads me to make substitutions are attempt to create new things. A recent experiment has been to try to create a pancake using wheat flour. Oddly enough, the inspiration for this was the Bible. I had been reading through the various laws regarding offerings in the Old Testament, and a few times saw something that described making cakes from flour mixed with oil. Here are a few verses (NIV) that describe this:

Exodus 29:2 And from fine wheat flour, without yeast, make bread, and cakes mixed with oil, and wafers spread with oil.

Leviticus 2:4-7 If you bring a grain offering baked in an oven, it is to consist of fine flour: cakes made without yeast and mixed with oil, or wafers made without yeast and spread with oil. If your grain offering is prepared on a griddle, it is to be made of fine flour mixed with oil, and without yeast. Crumble it and pour oil on it; it is a grain offering. If your grain offering is cooked in a pan, it is to be made of fine flour and oil.

I tried a few times to make some cakes using what I had on hand, which in particular happened to be an abundance of wheat flour. Ultimately, this is the recipe I came up with:
  • 3 Tbsp. wheat flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 4 Tbsp. soy milk
  1. Mix dry ingredients in measuring cup, add wet ingredients and stir until just mixed.
  2. Pour batter onto greased, medium heat (4/10) skillet. Batter may need to be spread out a bit if it is thick. Flip and cook other side.
I have some flavored dipping olive oil I like to use to grease the skillet. It might be interesting to do a version using cinnamon, or other spices. I did make one version replacing 1 Tbsp. of flour with cocoa powder - it resulted in a very chocolaty cake. It was good, but rich. It might make for a good breakfast. For the record, I used light vanilla soy milk. I imagine other liquids will work, too. You can eat these by themselves, putting toppings on them, or use as a wrap. Now for some photos!

The batter, just lightly mixed

Batter on skillet - was spread out with a spatula since it was a bit thick.

I flip it when the top looks kind of dry.

The cooked side.

I used some of my CSA lettuce and a some BBQ ranch dressing to make a little wrap.

There was a lot of lettuce, but the pancake is there :)

Yum! It tastes a bit like a chalupa - would probably be delicious with taco stuff.

A bit much lettuce, but tasty.

One last look!

No comments:

Post a Comment