Friday, June 22, 2012

Simple Dishes - Penne Mozzarella

Sometimes the best things are the simplest. One of my favorite dishes is very easy, quick, and has nice subtle flavors. Oddly enough, I found the recipe for this meal in Seventeen. Yes, the teen girls' magazine. For some reason I've had this unending subscription (okay, so I got some free subscriptions and picked Seventeen - when I was 22) that has been following me though I haven't updated my address. I think it may have finally stopped coming this sping, though. Haven't seen any charges on my credit card. Just Seventeen in my mailbox each month. Anyways, it was a nice little pull-out section that has exercises, food tips, and sometimes recipes. Besides being simple, I like it because it serves two. Seventeen doesn't have it posted online, but I found someone published it here. Here are my modifications and photos, but first, a salad!

Simple salad with CSA greens and strawberries, pine nuts, and (later) pomegranate vinaigrette.

Just wanted to share an obvious use for CSA (or other goods). Inevitably there are always some things you have around that you can toss on lettuce and make a salad with. Easy meal. Now for the Penne Mozzarella!

I love fresh mozzarella; I will use 1/3-1/2 a ball for a full recipe. Can also use those little round ones, baby bocconcini.

I only made half a recipe (for one) so I used half a pint of grape tomatoes, cut in half.

Instead of spinach, I used these two chard leaves.

I cut out the main vein of the chard leaves and then cut up the rest.

Everything ready to go!

I let the garlic (usually use 2-3 cloves for the full recipe) sit in the olive oil on low while I cut everything up, then turn up the heat when I add the tomatoes.

These ones got a little overdone, but tasted just fine.

Added the pasta water and chard, as well as some salt. I usually add the spinach after the pasta, but figured the chard needed more time to wilt.

I heat everything all together for a little so it's all warm.

Instead of mixing the cheese in, I add the pasta mix and cheese in layers in the bowls. This keeps the cheese from sticking into one giant mass.

So simple, so good! Simply delicious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment