Thursday, June 7, 2012

Simple Stir-Fry

One of my most common uses for CSA goods is stir-fry. It's easy, and you can put all kinds of veggies in it. Here is a stir-fry I made a little while ago with beef, garlic, celery, green onion, and oyster mushrooms. It serves two (or dinner for one, and leftovers for lunch!) and I cook 1/2 cup dry rice to go with it. I used about a single serving of meat (deck of cards-size).

First off, this is something I do with all skillet dishes that have garlic - I let the garlic (fresh garlic made small with garlic press) sit in the oil I am going to use on low heat. I feel like the oil absorbs the flavor this way. I suggest sesame oil for the most Asian flavor, but vegetable/canola works, too.

I suggest cutting all your veggies before you do anything. It makes everything easier. I put everything on a "prep" plate - this one was a bit small, but still good. Notice I separated the the denser part (mostly white) of the green onion from the thinner "leaf" part (green).

Cut my beef into little pieces, I like to do this so I can get a bit of beef in every bite - this was some kind of steak. It was a bit freezer burned :(

Beef cooking up in the garlic oil! I do this on medium-high heat.

When beef was just about done, I added the denser part of the green onion.

When the onions were cooked (relatively transparent), I added the mushrooms.

And, once mushrooms were a bit soft, added my celery. I add this near the end so it maintains some crunch.

Let the celery cook just a bit, then add sauces. For two servings, I add 2 tbsp. oyster sauce and 3 tbsp. soy sauce. That may be a bit salty for some, so perhaps add less soy sauce.

Finally, right before serving, I add the green part of the green onion.

Okay, so this photo obviously makes it look rather unappetizing, but I swear it's edible and at least semi-delicious, haha.

Final tip: When I save stir-fries, I put the saucy part on the bottom and the rice on top, so the rice doesn't get soggy. Heat in an appropriate container, and then turn over onto a plate and it's perfect :)

No comments:

Post a Comment