Monday, July 23, 2012

Lemon Balm Compound Butter

I have always wanted to try making compound butter, and when looking for ways to use my CSA lemon balm, it appeared as an option. It's fairly simple, so there's not a lot to say...my recipe is derived from two recipes I found online. I have so far used it for mashed potatoes, onions (which were added to radishes), and ravioli. It's a nice, easy thing to have around to give recipes an extra oomph. I don't know that the flavor of the lemon balm stood out against the garlic, but it did add visual interest.

Ingredients - makes ~4 tbsp
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 tbsp lemon balm
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder (I didn't have any fresh on hand, but this worked well)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
Butter softening - I cut into pieces to help the process

Salt and garlic powder mixed in

Pretty lemon balm!

Leaves pulled off, ready to chop

This is how fine I chops things...might be a bit on the fine side.

Lemon blam mixed in! You could also do this in a food processor.


Put it in a little plastic container, and it can be used for a few days in the fridge, or frozen for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment