Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"Ginger" Cashew Chicken

So it seems I almost forgot to post about this one! Based off of a recipe I found using Epicurious from Bon Appetit - Ginger-Cashew Chicken. I put ginger in quotes in the title of this post because I didn't use any ginger. I made a smaller version of the recipe, using what I did have on hand (no chicken broth, no dry mustard, added mushrooms), and it made two servings. It came out pretty well - the biggest surprise was that the slight cooking of my embarrassingly old cashews made them taste quite a bit fresher! If you are sensitive to saltiness I would suggest adding less soy sauce. Here is my ingredient list:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 5 green onions (dense bottom part, used tops for second part)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 3 celery stalks
  • 1 cup oyster mushrooms
     
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1/8 cup wine (I used a semi-sweet rose blush, same as in this post)
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp oyster sauce
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • tops of green onions
  • 1/2 cup uncooked rice (cook while making the rest)
Here are most of my veggie ingredients - note that I separated out the base of the green onions from the tops

Sliced oyster mushrooms ready to go

Starting with the green onion bases

I added the mushrooms about halfway through the cooking time of the onions

Everything cooked up! Ready when chicken was just done to keep it juicy.

Here's the sauce...I thought this looked kind of cool :)

Everything - ready to eat!

On rice.


Very savory and tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment